Screening of key people
A person in Holy Orders or an authorized lay minister is prohibited from engaging in ministry in the Diocese without a clearance for ministry certificate issued by the Kooyoora Office of Professional Standards and remaining current: s57.
A clearance for ministry includes a provisional clearance, issued pending determination of a complaint, where the Board is satisfied that pending the final determination—
- the applicant may otherwise lawfully engage in the ministry; and
- there is no unacceptable risk of harm to any person if a provisional clearance is granted: s80.
A lay person whose role office or position for service falls within prescribed categories and the prescribed criteria in s67 is prohibited from engaging in that service in the Diocese without a clearance for service certificate issued by the Kooyoora Office of Professional Standards and remaining current.
Special responsibility of a Vicar or Priest in Charge or Senior Minister or the Dean
A Vicar, Priest in charge or Senior Minister, with overall authority in a parish or a congregation or the Dean at the Cathedral has a special responsibility to meet the standards of the Code of Conduct for Child Safety, in particular –
- not to permit a member of the clergy to engage in ministry without that person first obtaining a clearance for ministry;
- not to appoint a lay person to a role office or position unless they are satisfied that the person is fit to hold the same;
- not to permit a lay person to hold or continue to hold a role office or position for which they are responsible if that lay person falls within the prescribed criteria in s67.